Sunday, April 5, 2009

My Mother's Family Tree

My Grandpa is James William Redford, Jr. He will turn 80 in June this year. He is the oldest child of 12 kids my Redford Great Grandparents had. He has one brother older than him from Marie's previous marriage. All my mom remembers about her Grandpa Redford is that he smoked, wasn't very nice and they didn't like going there to visit. I think he died when my mom was 11 or 12.
This is my brother and me with my mom and Great-Grandma Redford. My mom's middle name is Marie, after this Grandma. She was a very sweet loving grandma. She crocheted all the time and was always so grateful what others did for her. Lane and I lived by her the 1st 3 years of our marriage. She lived with very little. My mom said there was an outhouse in her backyard for years and that it took awhile before she got indoor plumbing. They didn't like using the outhouse. :0)

Great-Grandma Redford at my wedding (Dec. 2000) She lived alone for several decades.
She died in the summer of 2004 at the age of 93. I can still remember her croaky voice as she talked.

Now that I've shared my Mother's Father's side, this is my Mother's Mother's side.

Andreas Schmidt married Nellie Mae Bangerter
I think this Grandpa died when my mom was 1-yr. old. My Great-Grandma Schmidt lived to be 95. She died when I was 12 years old. She is the 3rd out of 4 Great-Grandmother's I met. I never met any great-grandfather's.

Nellie lived by Liberty Park in Salt Lake City. My mom said they'd spend a week at a time with her in the summer with other cousins. They had a lot of fun. Nellie had 12 kids. My Grandma, Lillian Schmidt Redford is the 11th of those children. All of her siblings are almost all deceased now. My Grandma is going to be 80 in a few years.
This is my Great-Grandma Schmidt (Nellie) with my brother and me when we were younger. For the last 15 years of her life each child took one month out of the year to take care of her. Nellie would live in their house. I think she passed away in her sleep at her youngest child's (daughter) house.

Here is my handsome Grandpa Jim Redford, Jr.

He married my beautiful Grandma Lillian Schmidt (who is the one I get the love of journal writing and history from).

And would you guess that THEY had 11 children togther?

My mom is the 4th child, the 1st girl--here is her baby picture. March of 1956 is when she was born.

Karen Marie Redford
My mom a little older

Here are my mom's sibling's when they only had 5 out of 11 kids. My mom is the girl on the right.

This picture was probably taken around 20 years ago. It is all of my mom's siblings. The only one missing is Patty, who died when my mom was in high school at 10-months old of liver failure. So I have an aunt I get to meet someday on the other side!

Backing up a few years from the last picture, this is my grandparent's with their first grandchild, my brother. You can't tell in this picture, but my Grandma just had her last baby 6 weeks after my brother was born. In the picture above, it the girl in the pink dress on the front row. That is my aunt, she is 6 weeks younger than her nephew. Not an uncommon thing in mormonville I guess, but strange to me.
Here is the same year and what my parent's looked like.

Here is the "Redford Clan" in 1987. ALL of my aunts and uncles and spouses. Our family has changed quite a bit. There have been divorces, remarriages, babies, a death and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren added to this family.

Jan. 2000 I returned from my mission and this is a Redford Family picture of that event.
Jim and Lillian still look the same to me, just a little older and wiser :0)

This picture was taken in April 2001 at the funeral of my mom's 3rd brother. Grandkids are included and I'm amazed that every month we have a family party and this is who is invited. It's like a reunion every month. I know my cousin's all by name and can guess their ages and where they're living. We have a very close-knit family on both sides (Muir and Redford). My parents made sure we knew our cousins well and I'm glad for that. I have many fun memories growing up.
You can see Lane on the front row. I'm standing behind him. This is about 4 months after we were married.

Here's a funny picture I found. Back in the early 90's (that's weird to say) my aunt Sharlene made bonnets and we went to This is the Place Monument Park on July 24th with both of my grandma's.
Front row: Karen, Grandma Muir, Andrea (my sister)
Back row: Julie, Sharlene, Grandma Redford
Dec. 2000, Bountiful Temple, Grandpa Jim and Grandma Lillian Redford (on left), Lane and myself, Grandma Lillis Muir and Great-Grandma Marie Redford at our wedding.
Here is the Redford and Muir side at the Temple after our wedding ceremony.
Lane's parents are next to him on the front row, along with his sister and her husband (back then).
Families are the whole reason we have Temples! I love temples!! Temples bind our families to us for eternity, not "until death do you part". I have shared my entire family tree for now. When I print my book, I'm sure it will be big. I love preserving the memory of those I love so that I can share it with my children. Hearing neat stories of my grandparent's makes me wish I had them written down. I still need to ask my uncle's (while they are living) what they know and remember about my grandparent's of how they met, where they lived and what were their lives like when they were younger. I have given a book to each of my kids' grandparents (Callahan's and Muir's) when they fill it up I can copy the information so all the siblings can have it and in turn, all the grandkids so they KNOW who their grandparents are. I would LOVE to know about the personality my Great-Great Grandma Muir was and where did some traits come from and what hardships did they go through. I take everything for granted of the modern everyday ease I have. I know if my children can learn from their hardships then their lives won't seem so hard or if they are hard, they will know there was someone in their ancestry that can truly relate!

2 comments:

Marianne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Terry Morrison said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.